Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"In New York, Concrete Jungle Where Dreams are Made of....

(Please Note I had all intentions of posting this WAY sooner :) Better late than never)

For St. Patricks day weekend I decided to take Friday off and fly up to see my best friend Megan. Megan has lived in New York for almost 2 years and everyone has made a trip to see her but me. When the opportunity came to go see, I pretty much harassed Randy until we finally agreed I would make the trip to see her.
I arrived at Laguardia on Friday morning to a big hug from Megan and my first trip on a New York City bus. This is not my first trip to NYC, my dad lived in New Jersey right on the other side of the George Washington Bridge and we got the opportunity to go a few times. When we as friends had all graduated from college we all went up to NYC for a group trip and had a blast.
The girls in NYC Nov 2007!

So with this trip the plan was to have Megan take me around and show me the other parts of new york that we really didn't do the last time we were all up.
We got to Megan's in Queens, and her boyfriend Greg greeted me with a delicious egg burrito, talk about hospitality! I showered and we went to the cute little nail shop half a step away from her apartment for manicures and pedicures!
Then it was off to meet Greg in the Upper east side for lunch at a new Italian place the Megan had heard had open called, "via tribunali"
This was a cute little simple place will a well done menu, we feasted for lunch and then headed around the block to "Sugar Sweet Sunshine" Cupcake shop. It was so delicious!
Waiting on the train to arrive

decisions, decisions

Mozzarella and Prosciutto

Yum

Yay for friends!

"Sugar sweet sunshine"

The turtle, strawberry shortcake and Megan's choice, haha




Afterwards with a few extra minutes on our hands we headed down to wall street but not without check out a old Metro stop that has been shut down. The only way you can see it is by staying on the end of line while the train goes around the track to the other track. We hustled in and waited anxiously with are cameras ready. I think the best way to do it to have a realllly slow shutter, otherwise it's too blurry. Anyways, it's the "Old Court House" station and it looks like the train station set they used for the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II" movie. It was really neat!
On our way to see the abandon station!

Too cool, a bit blurry
I forced Megan and Greg down to wall street and to get a picture with the Meryl Lynch Bull which was so fun....I've never been to this part of the city so I let Greg chat away with all the neat interesting stuff about Wall st.



Such tourists!

After seeing the Bull we went to meet Megan's friends where we were headed to the Ground Zero Memorial....
I really have no words to describe this...it was absolutely stunning, peaceful, sad, somber, joyful, and so so so much more.


Tower one infinity pool...


The survivor tree...


The evening was spent at "The Meatball Shop" in the upper east side again. This was a place that is exactly what it said, You picked your own meatballs, pork, beef, lamp or the special, picked your sauce, and then you could have a side or make it a sandwich, OR have pasta! It was fantastic.
We headed back to Sunnyside and hit the bar "Molly Blooms" for an evening of cocktails.
They are so cute

The menu from "The Meatball Shop"


My lovely hosts!

"Molly Blooms"


Day 2 was spent on the Upper West Side for brunch at "Isabella's" which as stated at all the other places was delicious.
Megan's egg white omelet at "Isabella's"

My burrito

Deep Conversation


We headed over to Central Park to walk through and avoid the St. Patricks Day parade. Now Don't get me wrong, I originally thought it was going to fun to see the parade but with the MASSIVE crowds and extreme intoxicated young 20 somethings it was better just to avoid it.
Strolling around Central Park


In front of the empty fountain :)


Loud, drunkards

Megan and I headed to meet Devon who came up to celebrate for the day. We headed BACK to queens where we hung out at a local fun Irish pub which was filled with locals and drank and chatted for a while until we felt it was time to head back to Megs apartments.
Yay for Guinness, Baileys and to being Irish!

We settled in for the night and played Wii and had a giggled fest of a good time!
Sunday came tooooo fast and I was headed back on a plane to the much SLOWER south.
It was a much need and fantastic trip! Thanks Megan and Greg for hosting me! You two are GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment