Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gardening By The Yard

Growing up we had a very large back yard and not even a year after moving in to our house on McKay St. my dad was setting up a garden. It didn't take long for us to have various vegetables, including tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, 4 different types of peppers, egg plants, snow peas, snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli (which my dad was SO proud of he took an ENTIRE roll of pictures), spinach, strawberries, pumpkins and so much more.
I have a memory of my dad tiling the yard in the dark in late March and finding frozen dirt because the ground had not completely thawed out.
Even after my parents separated and remarried my step dad and mom kept it up and my brother and I found ourselves in the garden weeding as punishment. I remember vowing never again would I ever do yard work or weed a garden again. 
These days I am finding that it is the exact opposite. When I became a home owner everything changed. Even though I can't really mow the lawn because I'm too small for the lawn tractor and every time I hit a bump or lean forward I make it backfire because I come off the seat I still find myself doing other yard work. I pull weeds and throw down mulch, I plant flowers, I reorganized the entire area around the shed and separated the fire wood and put together different tubs for various sizes of branches. I even tried to attempt to remove the evil green ivy under the pine trees and got poison oak in the process. I enjoyed it and it's very satisfying the see how it all comes out.
This year I did most of the lawn mowing since we've been at the Elon house (even though Randy may disagree with me) and this spring I decided I wanted to grow tomatoes. We don't have a large yard so we used earth planters. We went out and bought two tomato plants and sadly I killed one before it even made to the planter. I placed it on the patio table and it blew off and broke. You would think that this would be a bad sign but you're wrong.
I planted the remaining tomato plant along with a Spanish basil plant, a regular basil plant and some parsley and I am so proud to say that they all have been growing strong! The tomato plant has been growing great and we just picked our first few tomatoes and they are YUMMY!
I have been making pesto and have started drying the Spanish basil to save for the year.
It has officially inspired me to grow a "larger" garden when we make the move back to the Fuquay house. It's a  rewarding feeling to see you're hard work in action. I'm looking forward to next spring for sure!
I have included some pictures of the tomatoes.  Enjoy!
Big and green getting ready to turn red!
First tomato of the summer!
Ripening up on the kitchen window!

No comments:

Post a Comment